Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Wyoming author John Nesbitt chosen as finalist

In an e-mail from John:
I was informed a few days ago that my novel Raven Springs was picked as a Western Writers of America Spur Awards Finalist in the Best Original Mass-Market Paperback category. The novel is the third in a mini-series of crossover western-mysteries I have written about a character named Jimmy Clevis. A library reviewer online called it “an engaging hybrid of the traditional western and a mystery,” while a reviewer in WWA’s Roundup wrote, “As much a mystery novel as a Western, Raven Springs is a delightful read, filled with interesting characters, unique plot twists, red herrings, and a likeable hero.” The Spur awards judges pick one winner and two finalists in each category, so to place on a national level such as this is very good news for me.

In January, I met John for the first time in Torrington. He was one of the talented people I interviewed while I was there to write about the state of the arts in Torrington for the community profile feature in the Winter 2008 issue of the Wyoming Arts Council newsletter, Artscapes. John teaches English classes at Eastern Wyoming College and received a 2008 literary fellowship from the WAC.

Congratulations, John!