Tuesday, December 11, 2007

You're invited to Readers Theater Dec. 14


Just received this e-mail from Cheyenne author and actor Jim Rolf:

Every so often, I get an opportunity to do something that really moves me and that gives me great pride. This is one of those occasions. The Cheyenne Little Theatre Players are presenting "Tuesdays With Morrie" as a Readers Theater presentation at the Atlas Theatre on December 14. I have been selected to read the part of Morrie and I really hope those of you who can will come share the evening with me.

You all know the story - the author/playwright comes back to visit a former teacher who has been diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's Disease, and ends up renewing a friendship by spending every Tuesday with him. Andy Dennis reads the part of Mitch (the author) and does one of the finest jobs on stage I have ever heard him do. Rory Mack joins us on stage to help the audience understand the stage directions, and Carol Serelson has taken on the directing duties.

Readers Theater is a truly unique form of communication. With no sets, costumes, or technical effects to divert the attention of the audience members, they focus more on the script than they otherwise would. As an audience member, you hear words and feel emotions that are too often lost behind the smoke and mirrors of the stage. I seldom invite people to come watch me perform, but I feel so strongly about this production that I have to ask.