Tuesday, November 9, 2010

"Hold Me" at Clay Paper Scissors for next Arts Design and Dine event Nov. 11 in Cheyenne


Clay Paper Scissors in downtown Cheyenne presents "Hold Me," a show by Meghan Cochrane, for November's Art, Design and Dine. The opening is on November 11 from 5-8 pm. Meghan's work consists of hand-embroidered baby dolls and scrap quilts. To learn more about her work visit the Art, Design and Dine blog at http://www.artdesignanddine.blogspot.com/  or check out the Facebook Fan page.

FMI: Clay Paper Scissors Gallery & Studio, Cheyenne. On Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/claypaperscissors
 
Meghan's Artist's Statement:

I started this series my senior year of college after seeing an installation that incorporated thread. I was compelled to revive the embroidery skills I had learned as a kid. Little did I know that it would jump start my explorations in the fiber arts and change the direction and focus of my work.

I wanted the interaction with my embroidery to be tactile. So often embroidery is framed on a wall or blends into furnishings and is forgotten. I started embroidering into baby dolls because there is the unmistakable urge to hold and touch a baby doll. The images I embroidered are all symbolic of ideas or events that occurred in my life during the embroidery process. Each baby doll becomes a diary entry. They interpret my transition from college to the working world.

The quilts were created to use up the beautiful fabrics that I would find at thrift stores. I wanted to work with unconventional combinations and patterns to explore the idea of being swaddled in rags.
If you would like more information on Meghan and her work visit her blog at http://www.themechanicsdaughter.blogspot.com/