Monday, January 25, 2010

Call for entries: Non-fiction childbirth stories

Writer Jeffe Kennedy (formerly of Laramie, now in Santa Fe) sent this announcement from writer Kerri Nelson:

I'm writing a non-fiction book! Inspired by my current (and last of 3) pregnancies, I've submitted a project proposal to a publisher who has subsequently commissioned me to compile a book of real childbirth stories. For those of you who don't know, I was once upon a time a Certified Childbirth Educator (educated at Wake Forest University School of Medicine). So, I have both personal and professional experience in the field.

So, now I'm looking for stories to fill the pages of my first non-fiction project. Here's the deal:

1. Stories must be 10,000 words or less;
2. You can submit more than one story;
3. If your story is chosen for the book, you'll receive a flat rate compensation from the publisher (amount to be determined) but no royalties;
4. You may choose to use a pen name or pseudonym for your story if you don't want your "personal" details published;
5. All types of birth stories are welcome including c-sections, multiple births, etc...;
6. Deadline for birth story submissions is February 26, 2010;
7. The publisher is looking for real birth stories (non-fiction) so please keep that in mind although...the fact that some of you are fiction writers will definitely make your stories highly entertaining...I'm sure; and 8. Please submit your story directly to me with your real name, pen name (or name that you want to use on the story), contact e-mail address, final word count in the body of the e-mail (subject line: Birth Story Submission) and your story attached as a Word.doc. You will be contacted if your story is chosen and further details will follow.

If you have any questions, please contact me directly at kerribookwriter@yahoo.com