Call for entries from the Lander Art Center:
At a conference where an artist once spoke about her work in detail, the audience laughed out loud when halfway through she said, "As it turns out, I'm from Pittsburgh." After learning so much about her artwork it seemed perfectly fitting that her large steel sculptures would be influenced by this historically industrial city.
Many of us make an exodus at some point in our lives-- to seek out a life of our own. Those who don't make an exodus might gladly identify with their background. Either way, our roots often appear in subtle and interesting ways even if we don't intend for it to happen or notice until later.
In this exhibition: "As it turns out, I'm from...," the object is to connect your artwork to your roots. The connection may be as simple as the artist mentioned above from Pittsburgh who makes large steel sculptures. Or it may be a connection more direct like painting place related childhood memories or using found objects from your hometown. The interpretation of the connection is in the hands of the artist. Your "home" can be a city, state, country, culture or even a state of mind. Whatever the connection, the Lander Art Center wants you to discover it and share it with us.
$500 1st Prize
$300 2nd Prize
$200 3rd prize
Deadline for completed entries is Saturday, August 6, 2011. There are 5 items needed to enter, see below. Entry will not be processed without all 5 items.
Notification will be emailed Thursday, August 27, 2011. Please add email@example.com to you contact list and be sure to write your email address on the entry form.
Accepted artwork is due Saturday, September 3, 2011 at the Lander Art Center, 224 Main St., Lander, WY 82520. Please package your artwork well and write your name on the packaging.
Artwork will be hung the week of September 12-16.
Opening reception is on Friday, September 16, 2011. Mark your calendar!
Show comes down on October 22.
Artwork must be picked up or shipping arranged by artist by November 5.
Please mail images on a cd labeled with your name to Lander Art Center, 224 Main Street, Lander, WY 82520 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
1. Up to 3 images (created in the past 3 years)
* Dimensions: 1920 pixels for the largest dimension (the other dimension will be less than or equal to 1920 pixels)
* File Format: Save all images as BASELINE Standard JPEG. Do not save as a Progressive JPEG.
* File Size: JPEGs must be under 1.8 MB.
* Color space: Save images in an RGB color space, preferably sRGB
2. Artist statement
3. Juried-Show Entry Form (download from website or pick up at the front desk)
4. Application fee of $35 (check made to Lander Art Center, paypal payment made to email@example.com, or credit card # entered on entry form)
5. signed Waiver and Release (download from website or pick up at the front desk)